Ameren offers tips on preventing copper theft | Crime
JEFFERSON COUNTY, IL (KFVS) - According to Ameren, thieves are risking their lives and the lives of innocent people to steal copper and other metals with a high global price.
Ameren says copper thefts can cause extensive power outages and fires that could injure or kill innocent people. Not only has copper been stolen from Ameren utility facilities but thieves have targeted copper wire and pipes at businesses, private homes and apartments.
Ameren offers these tips as the best line of defense against copper theft:
- If you have information about a copper theft, report it immediately
- Immediately report any suspicious activity around Ameren utility electric substations or other utility facilities
- When away from home, make sure your house and outbuildings are securely locked. If you are gone for an extended period of time, notify police and have a trusted friend or neighbor watch your property. Put lights on a timer device, stop mail, newspaper and deliveries. Both homeowners and businesses should consider installing exterior motion-sensor lights
- Store all tools and wire cutters in secure location
- Store all materials containing copper in a secured building
- Secure construction sites, consider hiring a night security guard
- Secure vacant houses, apartments and other buildings. These are common targets of copper thieves
For more tips you can visit Ameren's website.
Copyright 2011 KFVS. All rights reserved