House fire in Mt. Vernon called total loss, caused by extension cords | News
MOUNT VERNON, IL (KFVS) - A house fire on Monday is a total loss, leaving a family of five homeless.
Mt. Vernon Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Sargent says the fire broke out around 11:30 a.m. at a home on South 5th Street. He says two of the five people that lived there were inside the home at the time of the fire. When they smelled smoke in another room, they got out and called 911.
The Mt. Vernon Fire Department, Jefferson County Fire department and Litton Ambulance responded to the scene.
When fire fighters arrived, Sargent says the fire had spread and the home was a total loss. He says the Red Cross is helping the family find a place to live at this time and provided them with clothing.
According to Sargent, they believe the cause was multiple extension cords. He says one was overloaded and deteriorated, catching fire.
The family says they have two dogs and a cat also living in the home and have not been found.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.